The existing structure was exposed following diversion of the watercourse. The site at Catrine Weir dates back to 1787 and consists of a weir, reservoirs, a sluice gate, a fish pass and a 450m long tunnel.
A lottery grant enabled the site to be restored and brought back into public use.
Lime concrete repairs were carried out to an existing historic structure, which had been was exposed following diversion of the watercourse.
Dimensions and the condition of the weir were recorded before we started work, and the works ensured that the weir was protected in accordance with the scheduled monument consent (SMC).
Throughout the works, the flow of the river was controlled during temporary restrictions on its flow and in times of spate, so that the working area was not inundated and the front of the existing weir is conserved.
Works were completed without incident, to budget and on time.