The bridge at Linn Park is the oldest known complete cast iron bridge in Glasgow.
Linn Park Bridge is a B-listed ornamental cast-iron bridge over the White Cart Water. The bridge has decorative pierced arches and spandrels, stone abutments, shallow arched roadway, plain parapet cast iron rails and a 1950’s concrete deck.
The main defect identified was a fractured area at the north end of the west arch. A large section of the cast iron had become detached, and was held in place by repair splice plates. The plates were beginning to corrode and required replacement.
There were also isolated minor casting faults throughout the bridge which required repaired.
The main area of concern was on the west arch girder at the north end which had multiple cracks, which had been repaired with steel plates bolted through the cast iron. These repair plates had began to corrode but no deformation or other signs of distress were evident, indicating that they were still functioning adequately under the current loading conditions.
An important requirement was that the access over the bridge remained open to the public.
To gain proper access to the bridge, a full scaffold was erected to both sides of the bridge on the outside of the parapet allowing the metalwork repairs to be carried out from the outside, keeping a section of the walkway open to the public as required.
Once the metalwork repairs had been completed, the bridge and parapets were prepped and made ready for painting.
A base coat (yellow) was applied to all the metalwork and then the top coat.
Linn Park Bridge was restored and passed back to the Council and the public to enjoy and cross safely.